Aspiring candidates for the HPPSC exam waiting for the notification must be aware that the competition for the exam has never been easy since lakhs of applicants fill the form every year. The HPPSC exam is a hard nut to crack. It requires unique strategies and preparation plans, but it is not always important to get enrolled for some coaching.
The preparation for the HPPSC examination can be a smooth ride even if candidates plan to do self-study, just that candidates are required to go an extra mile and put in their hundred per cent. In order to handhold candidates in the HPPSC exam preparation, we have come up with effective self-study tricks to help them prepare diligently for the upcoming exam.
Let us first know a little more about the HPAS exam. The HP PCS Exam is held to fill the most coveted positions of Class 1 Officers. It is also known as the HPAS test or Himachal Pradesh Administrative Services Examination. The HPPSC test is held for the positions of HP Administrative Service, HPPSC Tehsildar, HP Police Service, District Controller and Assistant Registrar.
Tips to Do Self-study for the Himachal Pradesh Administrative Service
- First thing first, be thorough with what you have to study. HPAS is renowned for changing the exam pattern once every few years. Therefore, it is advised that you stay updated with the exam pattern and syllabus. Try to understand the approach of the exam and prepare accordingly. Download the latest syllabus from the official website, as it gives you a perception of the paper and the right direction to start off with your preparation.
- Prepare a study schedule. Make a study plan that covers your syllabus and follow it religiously. Estimate the daily study time you can sit for preparation and choose 2 to 3-time slots for studying, as it is generally not possible to daily study at the same time. Do not stick to studying just one subject; make a sequence or routine of studying a particular subject. Also, it is advised to read chapter-wise in rotation for every subject alternatively; this results in speedy learning and maximum knowledge gain.
- Tackle each subject individually. You need to evaluate and analyse your weak and strong areas in all the subjects, be it general studies or general aptitude. The weaker areas might shake your confidence at times, but they will help you stay aware. Like, reasoning ability judges the cognitive skill and analytical ability of the candidate. You can easily score well in this section without learning any formulae just by applying common sense and regular practice. Similarly, aptitude tests the candidates’ ability to use numbers and number sense appropriately. The scope of questions in this section is limited to Class 10 mathematics. All you need to do is practice and attempt questions with accuracy. Then comes the most important and scoring section, the General Awareness section. Make sure that you answer questions from this section only when you are 100% sure of it. Prepare well for this section as it helps you fetch good marks while consuming less time.
- Time is prime. Hone your time management skill to ace the exam. During the final exam, you will have to decide how much time to give to a particular section. You cannot afford to lose a single extra minute on any section; otherwise, you won’t be able to attend another section. To learn time management, it is important for you to take free time-based online quizzes.
- Revise and analyse. It is important that you do the revision of what you have studied so that you get to know the level of your preparation. For revision, you can take mock tests. It will help you to know your weak and strong areas, and you can do more focused study for the same. Mock tests will also help you understand the real exam scenario. Revision can also be done by solving previous years’ question papers and taking online quizzes.
The HPAS exam is touted to be among the toughest exams in the country. Many students fear that it is difficult to clear the HPPSC examination without taking any coaching class, as the syllabus is more extensive than ever. Aspirants can go through the HPPSC Syllabus given in detail on the linked page. Remember, staying on top of things and understanding the smart ways of studying is imperative if you need to make your way through the intense competition of the Himachal Pradesh Administrative Examination.