Vehicle design courses are professional courses that work on the aesthetics or visual appearance of a vehicle. The people who pursue this course also create brand new products to suit the requirements of a vehicle for which the design is being catered to. They create designs to make an appeal to a vehicle segment of clients. An artistic bend of mind is necessary, along with sound knowledge of colour designing, technical ergonomics, body part design, software designs, and interiors.
Who can pursue vehicle design courses?
These are some skill-sets required for becoming a successful vehicle designer:
- You should have a love for automobiles or vehicles
- You need to have a strong creative, and artistic mind.
- You should learn to work on two-dimensional and three-dimensional designs.
- You should develop communication skills along with the ability to work or lead a team independently.
- You must know and understand aspects of design engineering and be ready to cooperate with engineers in this regard.
- You should have well-built analytical as well as mathematical skills.
- You should know to bring an innovative approach to solving problems with a different outlook on a problem.
- You should have an interest or enthusiasm in learning about the latest happenings in the sector of technology, industry, and automobile design.
How to become a vehicle designer by picking the right course?
- Get a bachelor’s degree:
This degree will inculcate important skills like 3D and 2D drawing skills, model making, drafting (computer-aided), research skills, and others. Many universities offer online automotive design courses and offline courses like Automobile engineering, Automotive engineering, and Transportation design.
To pursue a career as a vehicle designer or Automobile designer, you should enrol for Bachelor in Technology (B.Tech) in Automobile engineering. You will get admission on the basis of entrance exams such as SAT, JEE Mains, MRNAT, etc.
This course will instil numerous skills like creativity, communication, critical thinking, technical knowledge, and problem-solving.
- Create a portfolio:
A professional and valid portfolio will showcase your design experience and skills in a creative and innovative manner. You should start creating this portfolio at the time of graduation.
- Work on designing skills:
Technical design that is computer-aided is in high demand in the industry now. You can pursue a CAD course while pursuing the B.Tech degree. This will add to your skill-set, increase the prospects of your job, and save time as well.
Utilise the summer and winter breaks during your bachelor’s degree to pursue internships that will give you exposure to work under or observe experienced designers.
- Get your hands on designing software:
You should know about sketching, clay modelling, and digital techniques. You must learn about the most widely used additive tools for manufacturing and CAD or AutoCAD software that automobile designers work with also, depending on the particular requirements of the automobile design.
Pick the correct vehicle design courses for yourself, keeping in mind your interests and specialisation in particular. You can also opt for hybrid vehicle training courses, where you will get a brief idea of many aspects and segments in this professional course of vehicle or automobile designing.